Menu Topics Search

Talking to the police

Who can I call if the police arrest me or won’t let me go?

You have the "right to remain silent" and to not make a statementA statement is anything that you tell the police or someone in authority. You can give a statement by saying it out loud or by putting it in writing. Even if you don't sign anything or the police don't write down or videotape what you said, what you say is still a statement.X .

You also have the right to do all of the following:

You don't have to choose between calling an adult you trust and calling a lawyer. You can call both.

You also have the right, if possible, to have an adult you trust with you when the police speak to you. This means that you have the right to ask them to be there. But if they can't get there in a reasonable time, the police can question you without them.

Remember that you don't have to say anything even if the police keep asking you questions.

If your lawyer is with you, they can make sure that the police don't ask questions you shouldn't be asked, and that you don't give answers that might be used later to hurt you in court.

(Reviewed August 2015)