Menu Topics Search

Youth records

How do I check if my record is closed?

Once your youth record is closed, the law sees you as never having committed a crime.

But the information in your record may not just go away on its own or it might not happen right away.

It's up to you to check that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the local police remove any information about you after your youth record is closed.

Getting a criminal record check

To do this, go to your local police station with 2 pieces of identification. One piece must be from the government and have your photo on it.

Ask the police to do a criminal record check. This checks the local police files and the RCMP files.

You can ask for a criminal record check at any time by filling out a form. Ask how much it will cost and how long it will take.

You want to make sure that the police don't have any information about you being involved in the youth justice system. You should ask for a criminal record check even if you were charged but found not guilty.

If information shows up on the criminal record check, talk to a youth criminal justice lawyer about what to do.

You don't want your record to be a problem any longer than it has to be.

(Reviewed August 2015)